Preparation for Traveling

Certificate of Eligibility

Foreign nationals will need to obtain a Japanese visa unless you are exempted from it. Please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan's Web page.
To apply for a visa, the applicant must apply in person to a Japanese Embassy or Consulate in his/her country.

When applying for a visa, it is strongly recommended for you to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility beforehand. The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by a regional Immigration Bureau in Japan, and it has the advantage of reducing the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures.

International Center of OIT can act as a proxy for the application procedure to obtain the certificate. It usually takes approximately one month for the certificate to be issued after application. Please also note that the certificate will expire three months after the date of issue.

As a first step, you must contact a host professor or International Center of OIT and a Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country to clarify which status you should have in Japan and which documents you will need when applying for a visa.

Flow of Obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility and Visa

  1. Ask your host professor or International Center to apply for your certificate of eligibility.
  2. You will receive application forms from OIT by e-mail (approx. 2-3 months before entering into Japan).
  3. Send necessary documents to OIT.
  4. (International Center of OIT files your application documents to the Immigration Bureau in Osaka.)
  5. (About 1 month later, OIT will receive the certificate of eligibility from the Immigration Bureau. Then, OIT will send it to you ASAP.)
  6. Go to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your country with your certificate of eligibility to obtain your visa.
  7. A visa will be issued (approx. a few days to 1 week later)

Visa Applications

After the Certificate of Eligibility has been granted, the student or the trainee must apply in person to a Japanese Embassy or Consulate in his/her country to obtain the visa. The necessary documents are listed below:

  1. A valid passport
  2. 2 ID photos (4.5cm X 4.5cm taken within the last 3 months)
  3. Visa Application Form
  4. Certificate of Eligibility

Note: The Japanese Embassy or Consulate may ask you other documents to be submitted according to the applicant's nationality, so please check with the Japanese Embassy or Consulate beforehand.

Landing in Japan

Packing Your Baggage

Monthly Weather Averages in Osaka

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Max Temp (°C) 9.5 10.2 13.7 19.9 24.5 27.8 31.6 33.4 29.3 23.3 17.6 12.3 21.1
Min Temp (°C) 2.8 2.9 5.6 10.7 15.6 20.0 24.3 25.4 21.7 15.5 9.9 5.1 13.3
Rainfall (mm) 45.4 61.7 104.2 103.8 145.5 184.5 157.0 90.9 160.7 112.3 69.3 43.8 1279.0
Humidity (%) 65 60 60 60 65 70 70 70 70 65 65 65 65

Living in Osaka


It is required for all exchange students and trainees, who study in OIT for less than one year, to live in the dormitory, International House of Josho Gakuen. Many of international students in OIT also choose to live there because it is the most convenient way to jumpstart a new life in Japan. It is fully furnished and no deposit required. Onsite residence managers support students and trainees from abroad. It is conveniently located near Downtown and 3 Km from Omiya Campus.

International House of Josho Gakuen

From KIX to International House:

The curfew is 9:00 PM, so arrange your itinerary to arrive at Kansai International Airport (KIX) by 6:30 PM, allowing about 2.5 hours reaching the International House from the airport. There are two ways to access from KIX to International House:

Kansai Airport Limousine Bus Service:
  1. Take a limousine bus to Keihan Moriguchi Station from the bus stop No. 10 located just outside the 1st floor of the Terminal 1 Building, which takes approx. 70 minutes.
  2. Take a local train from Keihan Moriguchi Station to Noe Station.
  3. Walk along the railroad from Noe Station to the International House.
Kansai Airport Rapid Service:
  1. Take the Kansai Airport Rapid Service train from JR Kansai Airport Station to JR Kyobashi Station which takes approx. 75 minutes.
  2. Take a local train from Keihan Kyobashi Station to Noe Station.
  3. Walk along the railroad from Noe Station to the International House.

Living Cost

It depends on the individual, but generally speaking, more than 80,000 yen is required per month.

Common Expenses

Item Average Cost
Rent for International House 35,000 yen/month
Gas/Electricity 4,000 to 6,000 yen/month
Water 2,890 yen (basic rate)/ two months
National Health Insurance 1,800 yen/month
Damage Insurance 2,040 yen/year
Food 30,000 yen or more/month
(Noe St. to Senbayashi St.)
300 yen/roundtrip/day
(Textbooks, Mobile Phone, etc.)

Eating Options

Commuting to OIT Campuses