- Step 1. Language Training and Overseas Culture Experience Program
- Step 2. International Project-Based Learning (iPBL) Program
- Step 3. Overseas Lab-work Internship
- Step 4. IAESTE Trainee Support
- Step 4. Overseas Research Experience Program
- Step 4. Overseas Coursework Program
Globalization is an essential part of contemporary society. Businesses are moving their manufacturing plants abroad and markets are becoming borderless. Globalization strategy, therefore, is a top priority agenda in the education, and we at OIT offer various kinds of training for Globalization to our students.
As a science-based university, OIT has set the following three goals for students in its development of global human resources.
- To be proactive in communication with people of different cultural backgrounds
- To acquire English language skills as a tool and be proficient not only in daily conversation but also in technical terminology
- To have information gathering and communication skills to work on the front-line as a professional specialist
To achieve these goals, OIT offers students a wide range of overseas study programs with the emphasis on the following:
- Making students aware of the global community, from their entrance into OIT
- Offering step-up programs in line with academic years
- Including practical and collaborative experience with overseas students
Step 1. English Language Training Program/Overseas Culture Experience Program
OIT International Center organizes 2-4 week programs for the purpose of English language training or overseas culture experience during summer and spring vacations in collaboration with the partners and other overseas institutions. The English Language Training Programs are held in English-speaking countries and the overseas Culture Experience Programs are held in Asian countries.
|Host||Swinburne University of Technology||Browns English Language School||Langports English Language College||Canadian College of English Language||NILS||SMEAG|
|Schedule||3 Weeks in August/September||Customizable|
|Content||English Language Training Student Exchange||English Language Training|
|Host||Thai-Nichi Institute of Technology||Daejeon University||Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology|
|Schedule||2 Weeks in August/September||3 Weeks in August||2 Weeks in August|
|Content||Thai Culture Study Student Exchange Culture Experience Homestay Experience||Korean Language Training Student Exchange Culture Experience Homestay Experience||Chinese Language Training Student Exchange Culture Experience Homestay Experience|
Step 2. International Project-Based Learning (iPBL) Program
OIT provides training courses with hands-on activities called "Project Based Learning (PBL)" for students of 2nd year and above. As its international version, International PBL (iPBL) programs are conducted with our overseas partnership institutions.
In each iPBL program, students from both universities are grouped together and instructed to communicate in English. Each team completes the same project, such as hardware/software development or system design, which can promote students' practical engineering skills.
OIT believes that such interaction allows students to gain experience in adiverse and professional environment reflecting our globalizing world.
In 2018, OIT held 14 iPBL programs in total. Among seven programs hosted by OIT, four programs were selected as “Japan-Asia Youth Exchange Program in Science (Sakura Exchange Program in Science)” and financially supported by Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).
|OIT Faculty/Department||Host Univ. [No. of Students]||Participating Univ. [No. of Students]||Title||Period|
|1||Department of Civil Engineering and Urban Design||OIT ||National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST), Taiwan ||Design and Construction of Bridge Model||August 25 - 31|
|2||Department of Mechanical Engineering||NTUST ||OIT  Can Tho University, Viet Nam ||Development of Wind Turbine||August 19 - 25|
|3||Department of Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering, Department of Electronics and Information Systems Engineering||National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan (Taipei Tech) ||OIT  Tongji University, China ||Rescue Robot Project 2018||August 19 - 28|
|4||Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taiwan ||OIT  University of San Jose-Recoletos, Philippines ||Intelligent Vehicle Challenge||August 9 - 16|
|5||Department of Applied Chemistry||OIT ||NTUST ||Case Study Project Based on Chemical Engineering*||August 21 - 27|
|6||NTUST ||OIT  Widya Mandala Catholic University, Indonesia  Shibaura Institute of Technology, Japan ||Case Study Project Based on Chemical Engineering||August 28 - September 2|
|7||Department of Environmental Engineering||OIT ||University of Palangka Raya, Indonesia  Mulawarman University, Indonesia  Bakrie University, Indonesia ||Approach from environmental engineering based on field-scientific research on water environment in metropolis*||August 4 - 10|
|8||Department of Biomedical Engineering||Tatung University,Taiwan? ||OIT ||OIT-TTU joint PBL program||September 2 - 7|
|9||Faculty of Robotics and Design||OIT ||Taipei Tech  Kookmin University, Korea ||Design Thinking PBL with Industry Partners and Global partners||July 1 - 18|
|Kookmin University, Korea ||OIT  Taipei Tech ||July 18 - August 4|
|Taipei Tech ||OIT  Kookmin University, Korea ||August 4 - 23|
|10||Faculty of Robotics and Design||Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology - Thammasat University (SIIT) ||OIT ||International PBL using Design thinking||July 1 - 7|
|11||National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (Yuntech) ||OIT ?||Efforts of the design issues related to daily life||June 17 - 22|
|12||Faculty of Information Science and Technology||OIT ||SIIT ?||Real-world Game Programming*||September 2 - 9|
|13||SIIT ||OIT ||Image Processing Project||August 25 - September 1|
|14||Cheju Halla University, Korea ||OIT  Korea National University of Arts  Hokkaido University, Japan ||Cross-Cultural Media Design Project||August 28 - September 1|
* Programs funded by Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Step 3. Overseas Lab-work Internship
Overseas Lab-work Internship is a program mainly for students of 3rd year and above. OIT students have a lab-work internship in a partner institution, and vice versa. Each one or two of the interns are assigned to one lab to conduct research activities with host professors. All communication is done in English. The period of the internship is about 4 weeks. In this program, positive influence is expected on both sides, since not only interns but also students in a host lab are able to learn from their co-working experience.
|Department||Host Univ.||Participating Univ.
[No. of Students]
|1.||Department of Robotics||OIT||National Taipei University of Technology (NTUT)
|TBD at Host Laboratories||Jun. 27 - Jul. 30|
|TBD at Host Laboratories||Aug. 8 - 30|
Step 4. IAESTE Trainee Support
IAESTE (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) is an international organization that provides practical training experiences for science and engineering oriented students. OIT is one of the member institutions and encourages motivated students to become IAESTE trainees (about 50 students from Japan in each year). Through IAESTE, OIT also accepts a couple of international students every year as interns (research students) in the labs for about two months.
Trainees Accepted in OIT from:
- 2019：Sultan Qaboos University（Sultanate of Oman）
- 2019：University of Chemistry and Technology（Czech Republic）
- 2018：Slovak University of Technology（Slovak Republic）
- 2018：Technical University of Hamburg（Federal Republic of Germany）
- 2017：Gdansk University of Technology（Republic of Poland）
- 2017：Lodz University of Technology（Republic of Poland）
- 2016: Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic)
- 2016: Budapest University of Technology and Economy (Hungary)
- 2015: Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, KNUST (Republic of Ghana)
- 2015: Tomas Bata University in Zlin (Czech Republic)
- 2014: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Norway)
Trainees Dispatched from OIT to:
- 2019: Universidade Estadual Paulista（Federative Republic of Brazil）
- 2017: Manipal Institute of Technology（India）
- 2016: University of Information Science and Technology "St. Paul the Apostle" (Macedonia)
- 2014: Karunya University (India)
Step 4. Overseas Research Experience Program
OIT provides financial support for qualified 4th year undergraduate students, who will proceed to the Graduate school, and graduate students to encourage their research activities or practical experiences in overseas institutions for one month or more.
In this program, students enjoy their opportunities to acquire an ability required for theoretical or experimental development of new ideas, and to obtain diverse experiences through research works. Moreover, they are expected to establish or strengthen networks between host institutions and OIT.
Step 4. Overseas Coursework Program
Through Overseas Coursework Program, OIT students have opportunities to study abroad for a half or one year without paying tuition in eight of our overseas partner universities and over 500 member schools of UMAP (University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific).
- Angelo State University (USA)
- Bergische Universitat Wuppertal (Germany)
- Daejeon University (South Korea)
- National Taipei University of Technology (Taiwan)
- National Tsing Hua University (Taiwan)
- National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (Taiwan)
- Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology Thammsat University (Thailand)
- Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology (Taiwan)
- Tampere University (Finland)
- Tatung University (Taiwan)
- The University of Guanajuato (Mexico)
- Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (Malaysia)
- Technische Universität Wien (Austria)
- Universität der Bundeswehr München (Germany)
- Uppsala University (Sweden)
- University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific (UMAP)