Faculty of Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering and Urban Design
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering
- Department of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineering
- Department of Applied Chemistry
- Department of Environmental Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty of Robotics and Design
- Faculty of Information Science and Technology
- Faculty of Intellectual Property
Faculty of Engineering
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering is awarded to students who have enrolled for four years or more to complete academic requirements and who are judged to have the following abilities in the course of their study:
- Ability to maintain motivation and aspiration to study for a lifetime as well as in school to become a practical professional engineer. [ Motivation and interest in lifelong learning ]
- Ability to learn a wide range of knowledge and skills engineers ought to have in the fields of humanities, social and natural sciences and information technology. [ Basics of arts, sciences and IT ]
- Ability to gain knowledge systematically in a specialized field and apply it practically in response to the needs of the society and age. [ Technical knowledge and skills ]
- Ability to precisely understand others, express selves and discuss with each other, based on basic communication skills proper to engineers or members of society. [ Communication skills for mutual understanding ]
- Ability to positively cooperate with others to solve social problems. [ Problem-solving skills ]
- Ability to deepen a sense of mission and ethics engineers ought to have and actively contribute to maintaining and developing a sustainable society from a global standpoint. [ Action to contribute to the society ]
Department of Civil Engineering and Urban Design
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Civil Engineering and Urban Design is awarded to students who are judged to have the following abilities in the course of their study:
- A) Basic Scholastic Ability and Decision Making Skills
To be able to consider from a wide range of perspectives and make sound decisions by acquiring basic scholastic knowledge and skills relevant to Civil Engineering and Urban Design.
- B) Engineering Ethics
To be able to understand ethical consideration necessary for an engineer who can make responsible and realistic judgments, recognizing the need for social contributions and the global environmental impact of science technology.
- C) Science and Information Processing
To be able to utilize the basic knowledge and skills of the natural sciences such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, geology, biology, and information technology.
- D) Professional Knowledge and Skills
To be able to understand and use the knowledge and skills from the specialized domain of the Civil Engineering and Urban Design (design and planning, structures, materials, geotechnical engineering, and hydraulic engineering). In addition, to be able to obtain technical knowledge about infrastructure development including the preservation of the cities and the global environment.
- E) Practical Skills
To be able to follow a plan, implement practical skills with cooperation and leadership. And, to acquire the abilities of observation, understanding, reflection, and explanation.
- F) Problem Solving and Presentation Abilities
To be able to comprehend multifaceted social issues and present solutions for them by utilizing specialized skills and knowledge in design and presentation .
- G) Communication Ability
To be able to exercise common sense as a member of society, which includes communication skills and ethics.
- H) Internationality
To be able to obtain an international perspective in order to adapt to the globalized world.
- I) Lifelong Learning
To be able to adopt a positive attitude towards lifelong learning in order to respond to demands of a changing social environment. In addition, to become an autonomous, self-reflective learner, and to be able to solve problems on your own.
Department of Architecture
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Architecture is awarded to students who are judged to have the following abilities in the course of their study:
- Ability to have a wide range of knowledge professionals of architecture ought to have from humanities and social sciences to natural sciences.
- Ability to acquire knowledge and technics in architecture as the foundation for the design and construction of complex and a wide variety of buildings, and apply them to solve a new kind of problem.
- Ability to propose a solution to social needs in cooperation with others by utilizing the architectural knowledge and techniques and information technology.
- Ability to deepen a sense of mission and ethics professionals of architecture ought to have from a global standpoint.
- Ability to study continuously to enhance their own capabilities as architectural professionals based on the broad knowledge and techniques acquired.
- Ability to describe and draw their own opinions and ideas logically, discuss them with others, and also communicate with others in a basic level of English.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering is conferred upon individuals who have demonstrated the following qualities:
- A global and diversified perspective and the ability to address problems with a high sense of ethics and responsibility, as well as think and act with consideration of the impact technology has on society and the natural environment. [Sense of ethics, Sense of responsibility, Social impact of technology]
- Have acquired learning in the Natural Sciences such as Mathematics and Physics as well as a fundamental knowledge of Information Processing and Engineering, and have the ability to utilize this knowledge in order to analyze fundamental problems. [Ability to apply fundamental knowledge of the natural sciences and engineering]
- Have acquired fundamental knowledge of Mechanical Engineering to understand actual phenomena while utilizing this knowledge to analyze engineering problems. [Ability to apply fundamental knowledge of mechanical engineering]
- Advanced Course: Have achieved mastery of a special field of study in Mechanical Engineering, and have the creative designing ability to plan and execute the strategies for problem-solving within given limitations by utilizing the acquired knowledge of science and engineering. [Designing ability for problem-solving within given limitations]
Basic Course: Have achieved mastery of a specialized field of study in Mechanical Engineering, and have the basic ability to apply the acquired knowledge to actual problems.
- Advanced Course: Have acquired learning in design and manufacturing technologies for actual implementation, and have the ability to apply such skills to specific problems, as well as make full use of the latest engineering tools for problem-solving. [Competence in implementing practical knowledge of Engineering]
Basic Course: Have acquired learning in design and manufacturing technologies for actual implementation, and have the basic ability to apply such skills to specific problems.
- Ability to present ideas clearly and informatively, to convey his/her opinions as well as comprehend the views of others and to communicate at a basic level of English in order to work as a team in cooperation with members having diverse identities and values. [Communication skills, Presentation skills, Teamwork skills]
- Have an interest in the development of Engineering and the ability to collect the latest information while considering how such information can be utilized for problem-solving, and have established the abilities for independent and voluntary life-long learning. [Information gathering skills, Competency for life-long learning]
Department of Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering is awarded to students who are judged to have the following abilities in addition to the diploma policy of Faculty of Engineering:
- Ability to learn basic knowledge and skills in electrical, electronic, and systems engineering, which are necessary for engineers who support the maintenance and development of social infrastructure and existing technologies. [Key aspects: knowledge, understanding, and logical thinking]
- Ability to acquire the requisite knowledge of the materials and the basic principles and applications of devices necessary for effective utilization of electricity. [Key aspects: knowledge, understanding, and logical thinking]
- Ability to acquire the requisite knowledge of the basic principles and applications necessary for effective utilization of electricity as energy. [Key aspects: knowledge, understanding, and logical thinking]
- Ability to acquire the requisite knowledge of the basic principles and applications of electrical and electronic control, information, and communication. [Key aspects: knowledge, understanding, and logical thinking]
- Ability to acquire and apply a comprehensive perspective as an engineer performing research and development. [Key aspects: knowledge, understanding, and logical thinking]
Department of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineering
The Bachelor's Degree of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineering is awarded to students who demonstrated the following qualities:
- A) Have mastered a fundamental knowledge and skills of mathematics, natural sciences and information technology.
A-1) Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics and natural sciences to practical use.
A-2) Ability to make documents and statistical materials, and skills to search information from the Internet.
- B) Awareness of the importance of contribution to the global community and ability to make ethical decision.
B-1) A broad knowledge of humanities and social sciences, and ability to conceive a sustainable society from a global viewpoint.
B-2) Understanding of engineering ethics.
- C) Ability to express his/her own opinions as an engineer playing an active role worldwide.
C-1) Ability to make logical arguments in Japanese.
C-2) Ability to communicate in a basic level of a foreign language.
C-3) Ability to make engineering presentations.
- D) Ability to accumulate and integrate knowledge and skills of electronics, information and communication technologies, and to apply them for solving problems.
D-1) A knowledge of electric circuits and so on.
D-2) A knowledge and skills on electronic devices, information and communication technologies, hardware, and computer software by his/her own learning plan.
D-3) A knowledge of electronics, information and communication technologies, and ability to apply it for solving problems.
- E) Ability to continuously improve the problem solving skills through life-long learning.
E-1) Ability to make a plan and execute it to solve problems in collaboration with members in a team.
E-2) Ability to find his/her own way from a wide variety of choices to solve a problem effectively.
E-3) Ability to solve a problem under given conditions.
E-4) Ability to engage in life-long learning.
Department of Applied Chemistry
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Applied Chemistry is awarded to students who have demonstrated the following abilities in the course of their study:
- Broad range of knowledge and skills concerning liberal arts and natural sciences, which ensure the substantial activities for chemists or engineers with chemical skills.
- Basic theory and application technology of chemistry to deal with various phenomena of chemistry.
- Ability to formulate and carry out strategies for solving scientific problems.
- Importance of green and sustainable chemistry in order to contribute to sustainable development of the human society.
- Through continuous learning, understand that all chemical substances are potentially hazardous and how to treat them safely.
- Ability to logically and critically lay his / her opinion out, present and discuss it based on fundamental knowledge and skills in chemistry.
Department of Environmental Engineering
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Environmental Engineering is awarded to students who have spent more than four years at the Faculty, completed academic requirements, and acquired abilities below in the course of their study:
- Ability to propose an improving methodology in the field of environmental energy, natural environment, resource recycling, and environmental systems by technological, scientific, agricultural, and social approaches.
- Ability to find a solution to the problems in the field of environmental energy, natural environment, resource recycling, and environmental systems by discussions with other members.
- Ability to study continuously to enhance their professional skills on technology and political approach to resolve environmental problems in local and global environment.
- Ability to quantify natural & social phenomenon and material & energy balance to analyze these data objectively, and to discuss with other members.
- Ability to put out the information of environmental technologies and issues based on an outlook of international environmental issues.
Department of Biomedical Engineering
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering is conferred upon individuals who have demonstrated the following qualities:
- A) Ability to think from a global, multifaceted and broad perspective utilizing the knowledge acquired through biomedical engineering studies.
- B) Ability to comprehend the impact of biomedical engineering technologies on society and the natural environment, and the social responsibility that engineers bear.
- C) Have acquired the knowledge in mathematics and natural science required in biomedical engineering, and to be able to responsibly apply this knowledge.
- D) Have acquired the specialized technical training and knowledge required in Biomedical Engineering, and to be able to responsibly apply this knowledge.
- E) Ability to undertake problem-solving measures and projects designed to address the needs of society utilizing the academic knowledge, technical skills and information in Biomedical Engineering.
- F) Ability to communicate effectively with clear and logical writing skills as well as good oral presentation and discussion skills.
- G) Ability to study autonomously and continuously.
- H) Ability to carry out and complete a work under given circumstances.
- I) Ability to work with team members.
Faculty of Robotics and Design
The Bachelor's Degree of Engineering in Robotics and Design is awarded to students enrolling for four years or more, obtaining the required number of credits, and being judged to have the following abilities in the degree course:
- Ability to acquire a wide range of knowledge from humanities to social and natural sciences, form the foundation of flexible as well as tenacious thinking, and continue to study throughout life.
- Ability to utilize technical expertise systematically and design feasible problem-solving processes.
- Ability to collaborate with others in making proper solutions for social problems from users’ point of view.
- Ability to establish a sense of mission and ethics engineers ought to have, recognize the importance of continuing to study throughout life, and act accordingly.
- Ability to present one’s own ideas and share common understanding with others by utilizing precise communication skills including English language skills and presentation skills using visual effects.
Department of Robotics
- Have acquired fundamental knowledge of Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Information Technology, Instrument, and Control Engineering, as well as Robotics which is one of the most interdisciplinary fields.
- Have developed knowledge and prototyping skills using Engineering knowledge and the ability to design both mechanism and function.
- Have understood logical and methodical approaches using knowledge of mathematics and physics and developed problem-solving skills through lab experiment, engineering practice, and thesis work.
Department of System Design
- Have acquired fundamental knowledge of mechanical, electrical, electronic, instrument, information technology, control engineering, and communication technology, as well as System Design which is one of the most interdisciplinary fields.
- Have understood changing social needs and current technological trends, and acquired skills for generating their own new ideas for making products in response to the demands of the times.
- Have learned practical methods for realizing their own ideas.
- Have acquired practical skills for suggesting a new social structure or lifestyle, where people can enjoy a comfortable life.
Department of Design and Architecture
- Ability to utilize acquired knowledge about basic science, culture, and arts, which are required as a designer with engineering thinking and ideas.
- Ability to collaborate for making appropriate solutions to problems and create outstanding designs based on fundamental and practical knowledge in architectural, interior and product designs.
- Ability to utilize acquired presentation and communication skills to express their own ideas accurately.
- Ability to act with responsibility as a designer in society from a global point of view.
- Ability to understand expertise in specialized fields systematically and utilize acquired practical skills to make contributions to building an enriched society through creating global designs.
Faculty of Information Science and Technology
The Bachelor of Information Science and Technology is awarded to students who are judged to have the following abilities in the course of their study:
- The technical abilities to develop various information systems.
- Be able to apply the fundamental technical knowledge on mathematics and science, and special knowledge on hardware/software/system to system developments for the advanced information society.
- Have rich sensibility, logical thinking ability, flexible imagination and communication skills to convey information exactly and logically, and be able to work in cooperation with others.
The human abilities to live close together with nature and to realize rich and secure society.
- Have broad human capabilities for nature, society and culture, and be able to consider things on a global view.
- Have a sense of responsibility, ethics and execution capabilities that are autonomously determined.
- Have strong concern and interest in new things, and be able to learn voluntarily and continuously.
Department of Computer Science
The Bachelor of Information Science and Technology in Computer Science is awarded to students who obtain required number of credits and satisfy the following criteria in the course of their study:
- Be able to understand a position of an information system in society and its impact exerted on the various fields, and realize the role and the responsibility which should be achieved in society as an information engineer working on those systems.
- Be able to have basic knowledge of science and engineering related to hardware design, embedded system, and basic software technology.
- Be able to understand the fundamentals of hardware design, embedded system, and basic software technology, and to apply these technologies to real problems.
- Be able to communicate information correctly and logically in writing, the presentation and the discussion in Japanese.
- Be able to collect, arrange, and analyze information and to draw a plan and schemes for problem solving and to promote them continually and cooperatively in order to solve the challenge given.
Department of Information Systems
The Bachelor of Information Science and Technology in Information Systems is awarded to students who obtain required number of credits and satisfy the following criteria in the course of their study:
- Have a strong interest in the impact of information systems on society and the environment, and have a motivation to produce ever improved systems.
- Be able to take action from a broad, ethical perspective in pursuit of the development and improvement of information systems.
- Possess the basic math, science and engineering, and computer skills associated with information systems.
- Be able to utilize underlying knowledge and expertise in information systems to conceive, design and implement systems independently.
- Be able to write accurate and logical technical documents.
- Be able to collaborate with others in debates and presentations, having ability to appreciate the views of other participants, and can express opinions clearly and logically.
Department of Media Science
The Bachelor of Information Science and Technology in Media Science is awarded to students who obtain required number of credits and satisfy the following criteria in the course of their study:
- Have an awareness of social role and responsibility after due comprehension of the impact of information media on society and the relationship between humans and media.
- Take a proactive/systematic/sustainable approach to solve problems of information media.
- Understand and apply theoretical and practical information technologies with regard to information media which is defined as a media which transmits information.
- Be able to create an information environment based on human-centric policy by utilizing media technologies.
- Have an ability of presentation and communication taking advantage of information media to transmit his/her own idea, and be able to collaborate with others.
Department of Information Networks
The Bachelor of Information Science and Technology in Information Networks is awarded to students who obtain the required number of credits and satisfy the following criteria in the course of their study:
- Be able to understand the impact of information network technology on society and the social roles and responsibilities of engineers, and act with a sound judgment.
- Have fundamental knowledge of information network technology and underlying mathematical sciences, and the science and engineering related to information technology.
- Acquire expertise of information network technology and the related fundamental technologies, and apply them to real world problems.
- Be able to gather, organize and analyze information to solve problems, and create a plan and implement it for problem solving.
- Have a communication ability to correctly and logically deliver information to others in presentations, discussions or technical documents, and be able to collaborate with others.
Faculty of Intellectual Property
Department of Intellectual Property
The Faculty of Intellectual Property will award the Bachelor of Intellectual Property to those students who have fulfilled the designated credit requirements and have acquired the knowledge and skills specified below by fulfilling the course work and the graduation work provided during the four year school period. As a special provision, however, those who have demonstrated outstanding scholastic achievement will be allowed to graduate after three years of study to be enrolled in the Professional Graduate School of Intellectual Property.
The following are the specific knowledge and skills that students of Intellectual Property Department are expected to acquire through the course of study:
- A wide range of knowledge and skills in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, which is required to protect and utilize intellectual property. [basic academic skills, general knowledge]
- Overall understanding of the intellectual property law in the legal system and the skills to apply the understanding for the protection and utilization of intellectual property. [overall understanding of the IP law system, legal reasoning]
- Practical knowledge and skills on IP-related technologies, industrial designs, brands, contents, and business practices, which is required to create, protect, and utilize intellectual properties in the economic society. [practical knowledge and skills on technologies, industrial designs, brands, contents, and business practices]
- The ability to find problems that are to arise in the IP-related business environment and conduct research to analyze the problems to find solutions. [problem solving skills]
- English proficiency and global mindset, which are indispensable for the creation, protection and utilization of intellectual property in the global market. [global mindset]