Visa Application

Foreign nationals will need to obtain a visa to enter Japan unless you are exempted from it.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

When applying for a visa, it is strongly recommended for you to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) beforehand. COE is an official document issued by the Immigration Services Agency of Japan, and it has the advantage of reducing the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures.

OIT will apply for the COE on behalf of the exchange students themselves, and send the COE to your home institution as soon as it has been issued.

Visa Application

To apply for the “Student” visa, the students themselves must visit a Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their country and submit COE with other required documents.

Residence Card

COE will be exchanged with "Residence Card" upon your arrival at the international airports in Japan. It contains your personal information such as name, birth date, gender, nationality/region of origin, address, status of residence, period of stay, and whether or not you can work.

Since July 9, 2012, it became possible for a foreign national whose status of residence is "Student" to obtain "permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted" at the port of entry. However, OIT does not allow exchange students to obtain the permit and work during their stay in Japan.

Living in Osaka


Exchange students can live in our dormitory "International House" provided by Josho Gakuen Educational Foundation. It is fully furnished and no deposit required. A janitor is stationed to support students in their daily lives. It is conveniently located near downtown and 3 km from Omiya Campus. For further information, please refer to the following link:

Access from Kansai International Airport

From Kansai International Airport (KIX), it will take about 2.5 hours to the dormitory by public transport;

1. Kansai Airport Limousine Bus & Keihan Railway
  1. Take a limousine bus to Keihan Moriguchi Station from the bus stop No. 10 located just outside the 1st floor of the Terminal 1, which takes approx. 1.5 hours.
  2. Take a local train (Keihan Railway) from Moriguchi Station to Noe Station.
  3. Walk along the railroad from Noe Station to the dormitory.
2. JR (Kansai Airport Rapid Service) & Keihan Railway
  1. Take the “Kansai Airport Rapid Service” train from JR Kansai Airport Station to Kyobashi Station which takes approx. 80 minutes.
  2. Take a local train (Keihan Railway) from Kyobashi Station to Noe Station.
  3. Walk along the railroad from Noe Station to the dormitory.

For more details, please click here.

Access to OIT Campuses

Access to Osaka Institute of Technology (PDF)

Living Cost

It depends on the individual, but in general more than 80,000 yen is required per month.

Common Expenses
Item Average Cost
Rent for Dormitory 35,000 yen/month
Gas/Electricity 4,000-6,000 yen/month
Water 4,000 yen/two months
Internet* 2,000-5,000 yen/month
National Health Insurance 1,800 yen/month
Food 30,000 yen or more/month
Transportation (round trip/day) Omiya Campus: 320 yen
(Keihan Railway: Noe Sta.-Senbayashi Sta.)
Umeda Campus: 360 yen
(JR: Noe Sta.-Osaka Sta. (via Shin-Osaka Sta.))
Hirakata Campus: 1,180 yen
(Keihan Railway: Noe Sta.-Kuzuha Sta.
Keihan Bus Service: Kuzuha Sta.-Kitayama-chuo)
Textbooks TBD

*Free Wi-Fi is available campus-wide. At the dormitory, free Wi-Fi is only available in the lounge (1st floor).

Eating Options

  1. Cafeterias and a cafe on campuse
  2. Cooking for yourself in your room at the dormitory
  3. Restaurants and cafes around the dormitory or campuses
  4. Buying light meals at convenience stores


International Travel Insurance

Payment of medical bills is the students' own responsibility and OIT cannot provide any assistance.
OIT requires that ALL Exchange students buy the sufficient insurance for the entire period of their stay at their home country. The coverage must be more than the following table.

Coverage Insured Amount
Death by Bodily Injury JPY 1,000,000
Permanent Disability by Bodily Injury JPY 1,000,000
Injury Treatment JPY 1,000,000
Illness Treatment JPY 1,000,000
Liability (no deductible) JPY 100,000,000

*In case your insurance does not cover all requirements above, you will have to buy a supplemental insurance when you arrive at OIT.


Most Japanese clinics and hospitals do not accept private health insurance and do not provide medical services without cash payment. If seeking care under travel insurance, you will need to make full payment for treatment upfront and file a refund application yourself.

Private insurance companies often require a medical certificate and receipt for the refund, so it is best to contact your insurance company before visiting a hospital.

Personal Accident Insurance for Student Pursuing Education and Research “Gakkensai”

"Gakkensai" provides necessary support in the case of accident or injury suffered in the course of activities related to research or education. All exchange students need to buy this insurance when they arrive at OIT. Premium (JPY 1,000) * will be charged when applying.

*The annual premium is charged even for those who enroll midway through the academic year.

National Health Insurance (NHI)

Exchange students who will stay in Japan more than 3 months must join the National Health Insurance (NHI) regardless of the kind of insurance they may already have. This is a strict legal requirement in Japan. Once you arrive in Japan, you must complete the required procedures at your local city/ward office *.
(*OIT staff or student volunteer will support you with the procedures.)

Under NHI, patients need to pay 30% of the total cost of care at clinics and hospitals. More than 90% of Japanese hospitals and clinics, including dental clinics, accept National Health Insurance. NHI also provides benefits for high medical costs associated with surgery and hospitalization.

Premiums are charged monthly. Costs will vary depending on your annual income and the area you live in.

Information Resource for International Students

For more information, contact us:
You can contact the OIT International Center by e-mail to We will get back to you as soon as possible.