Study Abroad Programs for OIT Students
- Step 1. Language Training and Overseas Culture Experience Program
- Step 2-3. International Project-Based Learning (iPBL) Program
- Step 4. IAESTE Trainee Support
- Step 4. Overseas Research Experience Program
- Step 4. Overseas Coursework Program
Globalization is an essential part of contemporary society. Businesses are moving their manufacturing plants abroad, and markets are becoming borderless. Globalization strategy, therefore, is a top priority agenda in the education, and we at OIT offer various kinds of training for Globalization to our students.
As a science-based university, OIT has set the following three goals for students in its development of global human resources.
- To be proactive in communication with people of different cultural backgrounds
- To acquire English language skills as a tool and be proficient not only in daily conversation but also in technical terminology
- To have information gathering and communication skills to work on the front-line as a professional specialist
To achieve these goals, OIT offers students a wide range of overseas study programs with the emphasis on the following:
- Making students aware of the global community, from their entrance into OIT
- Offering step-up programs in line with academic years
- Including practical and collaborative experience with overseas students
Step 1. English Language Training Program/Overseas Culture Experience Program
OIT International Center organizes 2 to 4-week English language training programs and overseas culture experience programs during summer and spring breaks in collaboration with the partners and other overseas institutions. The English Language Training Programs are held in English-speaking countries and the overseas Culture Experience Programs are held in Asian countries.
|Type of Institution||Language School||Partner University|
|Name of Institution||Newtype International Language School (NILS)||Swinburne University of Technology|
|Schedule (Summer)||1-4 weeks in August/September (Online)||August 16-27 (Online)|
|Schedule (Spring)||1-4 weeks in February/March 2022||TBD|
|Teaching Style||Private Lesson||Group Lesson with Other Universities' Students|
The schedule of this year's Overseas Culture Experience Programs is undetermined due to COVID-19. Please wait for updates.
Step 2-3. International Project-Based Learning (iPBL) Program
OIT provides training courses with hands-on activities called "Project-Based Learning (PBL)" for students of 2nd year and above. As its international version, International PBL (iPBL) programs are conducted with our overseas partnership institutions.
In each iPBL program, students from participating universities are grouped together and instructed to communicate in English. Each team completes the same project, such as hardware/software development or system design, which can promote students' practical engineering skills.
OIT believes that such interaction allows students to gain experience in a diverse and professional environment reflecting our globalizing world.
OIT and Overseas Partners support the “SDGs” through implementation of the iPBL. Science is vital for supporting a wide range of global policy objectives, many of them included in the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) endorsed by the UN in 2015. The 17 SDGs of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development provide an aspirational framework oriented around people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership. There is a strong rationale for academies to engage on the SDGs.
One of the objectives to develop global human resources required by society is the “Problem Solving Ability”, and the iPBL Programs conducted jointly by OIT and our partner universities match this goal. OIT has decided that the SDGs are worth being set as the common theme for the next five years, expected to increase the participants' motivation.
|OIT Faculty/Department||Host Univ.||Participating Univ.||Project Title||Related SDG(s)|
|1.||Department of Mechanical Engineering||OIT||National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST), Taiwan,
Can Tho University, Vietnam,
|Development of Wind Turbine|
|2.||Department of Applied Chemistry||OIT||NTUST,
Widya Mandala Catholic University Surabaya (WMCUS), Indonesia
|Case study project based on Chemistry *|
|4.||Department of Environmental Engineering||OIT||University of Palangka Raya, Indonesia (UPR),
Mulawarman University, Indonesia (UNMUL),
Bakrie University, Indonesia (UB)
|Environmental-engineering fieldwork approaches on urban environmental problems in Osaka *|
|5.||Department of Biomedical Engineering||OIT (Online)||Tatung University, Taiwan||Online international joint PBL in the field of biotechnology|
|6.||Faculty of Robotics and Design||OIT||NTUST,
Stanford University, USA,
|I3PBL(International, Interdisciplinary, and Industry-academic PBL)|
Stanford University, USA,
|8.||Faculty of Robotics and Design||OIT||Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology - Thammasat University (SIIT), Thailand||International problem-based learning program based on design thinking about global issue for Asian people on healthy lives and wellbeing|
|10.||Faculty of Robotics and Design||OIT||Universiti Malasia Sabah (UMS)||International problem-based learning program based on design thinking about global issue for Asian people on healthy lives and wellbeing|
|12.||Faculty of Robotics and Design||OIT||National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (Yuntech)||International PBL using Design Thinking (Taiwan)|
|14.||Faculty of Information Science and Technology||SIIT (Online)||OIT||Image Processing for Interactive Virtual Robot|
|15.||Faculty of Information Science and Technology||OIT (Online)||SIIT||Virtual World Robot Programming *|
|16.||Faculty of Information Science and Technology||Korea National University of Arts, Korea||OIT,
Hokkaido University, Japan
|Cross-Cultural Media Design Project|
* Programs funded by Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Some of programs maybe held online or canceled due to COVID-19. Please check for updates.
Step 4. IAESTE Trainee Support
IAESTE (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) is an international organization that provides practical training experiences for science and engineering oriented students. OIT is one of the member institutions and encourages motivated students to become IAESTE trainees (about 50 students from Japan in each year). Through IAESTE, OIT also accepts a couple of international students every year as interns (research students) in the labs for about two months.
Trainees Dispatched from OIT to:
- 2019: Universidade Estadual Paulista（Federative Republic of Brazil）
- 2017: Manipal Institute of Technology（India）
- 2016: University of Information Science and Technology "St. Paul the Apostle" (Macedonia)
- 2014: Karunya University (India)
Trainees Accepted in OIT from:
- 2019：Sultan Qaboos University（Sultanate of Oman）
- 2019：University of Chemistry and Technology（Czech Republic）
- 2018：Slovak University of Technology（Slovak Republic）
- 2018：Technical University of Hamburg（Federal Republic of Germany）
- 2017：Gdansk University of Technology（Republic of Poland）
- 2017：Lodz University of Technology（Republic of Poland）
- 2016: Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic)
- 2016: Budapest University of Technology and Economy (Hungary)
- 2015: Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, KNUST (Republic of Ghana)
- 2015: Tomas Bata University in Zlin (Czech Republic)
- 2014: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Norway)
Step 4. Overseas Research Experience Program
OIT provides financial support for qualified 4th year undergraduate students, who will proceed to the Graduate school, and graduate students to encourage their research activities or practical experiences in overseas institutions for one month or more.
In this program, students enjoy their opportunities to acquire an ability required for theoretical or experimental development of new ideas, and to obtain diverse experiences through research works. Moreover, they are expected to establish or strengthen networks between host institutions and OIT.
Step 4. Overseas Coursework Program
Through Overseas Coursework Program, OIT students have opportunities to study abroad for a half or one year without paying tuition in eight of our overseas partner universities and over 500 UMAP (University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific) member schools.